Yes, powered anodes are a proven and effective technology used to protect the metal in your water heater from corrosion.
They work by producing a small electric current that counteracts the electrochemical reaction that would cause your water heater to rust.
Powered anode rods have been used in the water heater industry for many years due to their effectiveness in combating corrosion. Here are some reasons and historical context illustrating why they work well:
- Scientific Basis: The functionality of powered anodes is based on the well-understood principles of electrochemistry. By creating a small current, these anodes prevent the corrosive reaction that would normally occur in the water heater.
- Industry Adoption: Impressed-current anodes (another name for powered anodes) were first patented in the early 1960s and have been used in various industrial applications since, including water heaters, underground tanks, and marine structures. Their long history of use is a testament to their effectiveness.
- Adaptable to Water Conditions: Unlike sacrificial anodes, powered anodes can adjust to different water conditions, making them effective in a variety of environments.
- Longevity: The use of powered anodes can significantly extend the lifespan of water heaters, which has been observed and documented over the years.
- Solves the “Rotten Egg” Smell: Powered anodes can also prevent the sulfur smell often associated with sacrificial anodes, proving their effectiveness in improving the overall water quality.
Given this history and their continued use in various industries, powered anode rods have a proven track record of effectiveness.
Why Corro-Protec is Unrivalled?
One of the top brands in the industry is Corro-Protec. They specialize in producing high-quality powered anodes that are designed to work with all types of water heaters and conditions. The Corro-Protec anodes are known for their reliability, durability, and superior performance.
While it’s true that Corro-Protec anodes are more expensive initially compared to traditional sacrificial anodes, they can offer substantial savings in the long run. Here’s why:
- Longevity: A powered anode rod such as the ones made by Corro-Protec is designed to last significantly longer than a standard sacrificial anode. Whereas a sacrificial anode may need to be replaced every few years, a powered anode can potentially last for the life of the water heater.
- Preventive Protection: By preventing corrosion more effectively, a powered anode can prolong the lifespan of your water heater. This means you won’t need to replace the entire heater as frequently, saving you a significant amount over time.
- Maintenance Costs: Traditional anodes require regular checks and replacement, which involves labor costs if you’re hiring a professional or time and effort if you’re doing it yourself. With a powered anode, once it’s installed, it requires minimal maintenance.
- Odor Prevention: Corro-Protec anodes are designed to stop the sulfurous “rotten egg” smell that can sometimes occur with sacrificial anodes. This not only improves the quality of your water, but also means you won’t need to spend extra money trying to fix this issue.
So while the upfront cost of a Corro-Protec powered anode is higher, the investment can pay off in the form of lower maintenance costs, a longer-lasting water heater, and better water quality.
Cleaning and emptying your water heater is important for its proper functioning. It may not be the first thing you think of when taking care […]
The thermostat in a hot water heater plays a critical role in monitoring and regulating the water’s temperature. When it’s working efficiently, you’ll have a […]
Corro-Protec’s anode rod for water heaters fits any residential tank on the market. Get the most durable and versatile anode available.
Our RV’s powered anode rod fits all Suburban RV water heaters. Enjoy the power of our permanent corrosion protection and more.