The anode rod in your Rheem water heater is located on top of your tank. More precisely, your magnesium or aluminum sacrificial anode is visible through a hexagonal head located in the center of your tank under a plastic cover. Refer to your water heater’s user guide for more information.


  1. Karen Winchester on January 22, 2020 at 4:39 pm

    I have a Rheem 30 gal electric water heater… 12 years old. Would like to change the anode, but no hex nut on top. There are 2 plastic covers (with insulation under them ??). Is the hex nut under that?? Model # 82SV30-2

    • Corro-Protec on January 22, 2020 at 9:01 pm

      Hello Karen,

      Yes, the anode rod in your Rheem water heater should be located under the plastic cover.


  2. Ray Hammons on November 19, 2019 at 6:27 pm

    I have 2 hexagonal heads on my heater. One on each side of pressure valve. How do know which one it is or do I have 2? Also one is packed with fiber insulation and one is foam. Pls help.

    • Corro-Protec on November 20, 2019 at 9:10 am

      Hello Ray,

      To know where is the Anode rod on your Rheem water heater, I would like to know the model number of the tank.

      Thank you,

      • Ralph Crawford on November 26, 2019 at 5:36 pm

        I have the same question. My unit is a model 82v52-2. Also the dip tube part #SP13763M for it seems to be made of unobtainium. No one has one. Thank you.

Leave a Comment